Saturday, May 16, 2015

BB King: A whiskey with the King of Blues – The Universal

cristina.pineda@eluniversal.com.mx
 


 B.B. King sat backstage at the Metropolitan Theatre in his visit to Mexico in 1996. With a relaxed profile (and did not have his suit and his tie) agreed to sign a replica of his famous Gibson nicknamed “Lucille”. He drank whiskey and, on a tray, you could see ham sandwiches with cheese but not the banks.
 


 


 King of the blues died Thursday at 89 years old in the city of Las Vegas at 21:40 hours. In light of this news music critic and former executive of several labels, Jorge Soto remember this picture of King at the Metropolitan in Mexico City. There, the musician decided platicarle Soto why the female name of his guitar, which he gave one to Pope John Paul II.
 


 


 In the 50 King he played with his band in a nightclub made of wood in Arkansas City, so it was very cold in different parts hanging oil lamps had to heat the place. Two men started fighting, dropped a lamp and it started to burn.
 


 


 Soto recalled that King told him: “We all ran outside and at one point I remembered that my guitar was inside so I went through the flames to get her. The next day I knew the fight was over a woman who worked there named Lucille and I put that name to remember never to do those ‘pend …’ endangering my life. ”
 


 


 In addition to enter the Hall of Fame Rock and Roll in 1987, the singer of songs like “The Thrill Has Gone,” “You Upset Me Baby” or “Blind love” with almost 60 years of career, 50 albums and 16 Grammys got out of the cotton plantation where he worked early in his life to become a legend.
 


 


 Riley B. King (his real name) was born on September 16, 1925. He became known as the Beale Street Blues Boy later cut it to Blues Boy King, and eventually BB King. He became known for his guitar playing so as to bend the strings refers creating a unique style incorporating sounds of blues, swing and pop.
 


 


 After Metropólitan, Jorge Soto had another meeting with him: “I saw it in New York, his truck was fitted with a small room that had a sofa bed and a desk.
 


 


 “I had a lot of records of a Belgian guitarist Django Reinhardt called and when I asked, he said he was an extraordinary guy who admired. I noticed that an idol of idols was a fan of another guitarist. ”
 


 


 The Mexican Jesse & amp; Joy also told their relationship with the music of BB King: “Today one of the great departed. I remember as a kid and mom was listening to something that struck me, sounded sad but at the same time made me feel good and when I asked who it was, I said in English, ‘That music is called blues and BB King, King of the Blues “.
 

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment