Friday, October 9, 2015

Voices from Chernobyl after the disaster – the Nation (Argentina)

Delicate work of gathering evidence to tell a huge tragedy

In 1997, Svetlana Alexievich published Voices Chernobyl , the book with the expressions of people affected by a major nuclear disaster the world. The April 26, 1986 the nuclear power plant exploded and released 500 times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima in 1945 and caused massive damage radioactive and toxic elements.

The international experts consider environmental disasters the consequences for man and the environment was higher than the nuclear accident in Fukushima I, in 2011, in Japan.

Here, some of the voices of those who suffered the disaster, lost family, friends and place residence, which were heard by Alexievich in his long job of collecting evidence to expose to the world:

“The world has split in two, are we, the people of Chernobyl, and are you The rest of the men. What have you noticed? Now between us emphasizes not I’m Belarusian or am Ukranian .. I am Russian “… All they call themselves same inhabitants of Chernobyl. We are at Chernobyl. I’m a man of Chernobyl. As if it were a distinct people. A new nation. “

” I went out of the mouth pieces of lung, liver. He choked on his own entrails. I hand wrapped with gauze and entered her mouth to get everything inside. It is impossible to have this! It is impossible to have this! It is impossible to write it! I can not even stand it! … All this so dear … So my .. So … He had no shoe size. He was placed on the coffin barefoot. “

” I do not fear death. My own death. But not sure how I’m going to die. I saw a friend die. He became larger, swelled. As a barrel. And my neighbor. He was also there. A crane operator. He turned black as coal, and dried to the size of a child. Not sure how I will die. If I could choose my death, I ask you to be ordinary. Not like Chernobyl. And yet, what we do know for sure is that my diagnosis is not much harder. At least you feel that the time comes? ? And a bullet in the forehead “

” I get hysterical: Why are you hide my husband? Who is? A murderer? A criminal? A common criminal? Who buried them? . Mom tells me: Easy, easy, my child . And I stroke my head, making me his hand. Colonel reports on the radio: Request permission to address the cemetery. The wife has given hysterics “”

“The radio said they would evacuate city ​​three or maybe five days. Take away with them winter clothes and sports, because they will live in the forest. In tents. People even rejoiced: send us to the field! There will celebrate the feast of May. Something unusual … Wonderful May holidays! Only those women wept whose husbands had happened something “…

Photo: THE NATION

Pocket

You can read in Spanish in digital format, and next month will be available paper edition

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment